The winter school holidays are hard work! Cold wet weather means cabin fever sets in half way through the first week, but don’t let the chorus of “I’m boooooooored” drive you mad – pop into Little Sparrow and be inspired by the huge range of materials and games we have to keep you amused.
water color pencils, modeling wax, pencils and pencil rolls, kite paper & workbooks!
1. Never ending rain? Do some water paper water color painting. We have paper, brushes and paints to get you started!
2. Make some window roses from kite paper to brighten these gloomy days.
3. Go on a nature walk, take one of our durable pintoy magnifying glasses and get up close to find tiny treasures!
4. What better weather to learn to knit a scarf? Fat needles and yarn will make it easier for little fingers.
5. Turn drab to fab by throwing a tea party – we have quite a few tea sets for you to choose from!
6. Choose your favorite sticker pack and give your school books a makeover
7. Pick out a new winter hat and some snuggly socks from our cute and cosy handmade selection then go and enjoy a blustery day at the beach – don’t forget your gumboots!
8. Choose some pretty ribbon or trim, some plain fabric and make your own grocery bag.
9. Pick an art print from our selection, move your bedroom around and -ta-dah! A new room!
10. Start keeping a diary, even this time next year it will be fun to look back and see how you spent your holidays!
felty fun mobile
11. Make a list of your favorite activities in “Winter Nature Activities for Children”
12. Weave some magic on a weaving loom – we have a few different sizes for all sorts of projects.
13. Declare the day “Games Day” – make up a board game of your own invention or choose from our huge range!
14. Sew some felt finger puppets and put on a show in a cardboard box theatre. Don’t forget to make tickets and a poster!
15. Choose from a range of felt toy kits and make a ball rattle, some sea creatures or a puppet
16. Little people can get a head start on bike riding with our of the excellent bamboo EverEarth balance bikes!
17. Learn cross stitch – you could choose from a kit or design your own with the plain supplies we stock
18. Build a colorful box kite and rug up to take it out for a test flight!
19. Pick up a cute wooden ladybug french knitting spool and see how long you can make it!
20. Grab one of our blank workbooks, a few new pencils and see if you can make your own comic book.
farmyard felt finger puppets
21. Have an archeological dig in the back yard. Our little spades and oilcloth aprons will kit you out just right!
22. Adopt a new furry knitted friend, once their settled in at home make up a backstory about them
23. Pretend Springtime is closer than it really is and play florist with the Djeco Florist playlet
24. Build the biggest block tower you can – is it as tall as you?
25. Pick up some of our chunky wooden beads and decorate them before threading some statement bangles and necklaces
26. Make a fun felt mobile for your bedroom, they’re not just for babies you know!
27. Choose some of our colorful buttons and give an old cardigan a makeover
28. Proclaim Christmas in July! Find a bare branch and make some festive decorations
29. Decorate a bag or make some hair clips with a kanzashi flower maker!
30. Start a family band – we’ve got lots of percussion instruments for you!
usborn doodle dry erase doodling cards & pack donkey balancing game
31. Pick up a copy of ‘Crochet for Kids’ & get hooked! This book is full of easy instructions & appealing projects for boys & girls.
32. Set up one of our excellent teepees and have an indoor camping adventure – make some damper, tell stories, sing songs.
33. Get stuck into a new book – we have some great chapter books on our shelves.
34. Be a knight for a day in one of our tabards and ride off to adventure on a hobby horse or dragon!
35. Learn how to use a flower loom and get busy making lots of pretty yarn flowers!
36. Bake some cozy gingerbread cookies – little people will love choosing their own mini rolling pin and cookie cutters
37. Pick your favorite Usborn Doodle set and have hours of fun doodling on the 50 dry erase, wipe clean cards
38. Have a mending day and stock up on whatever you need: thread, thimbles, buttons, needles or patches?
39. Treat yourself to a new money box and start doing a few extra lucrative chores!
40. Set up a jigsaw puzzle table and see how fast you can conquer one of our 100 piece puzzles?
strawberry needle book, pin cushion & scissor pouch – perfect for a beginner sewers kit
41. With our junior gardeners set, you could do some family guerrilla gardening and make up some seed bombs to brighten up the nearest vacant block or median strip!
42. Pop on one of our lovingly handmade cloaks and takes some treats to grandma’s house
43. Grown your play food collection and set up a play shop or cafe – we even have a cash register here for you!
44. Pick up one of our many magic wands and work on your spells and potions
45. Invest in a new pencil roll or pencil case and get your stationery sorted ready for the new term!
46. Put together your own sewing kit – we have a range of sewing baskets and small supplies ideal for beginners
47. Learn how to use a pompom maker and create some lush and fuzzy pompom pets
48. Step into the world of needle felting! Be inspired by our colorful wool fibre and instruction books
49. Pick up some wooden people and make your family in miniature!
50. Relax, make the most of the holidays and stay warm!